On Jan. 23, 1943, my uncle, Frank Ebner Gartz, (photo in uniform, above) reported to the draft board in Chicago to start his training for WWII. So began the correspondence between him and family & friends, comprising almost 300 letters going both ways. I’m posting many of these World War II letters, each on or near the 70th anniversary of its writing. To start with his induction, click HERE.


This blog began in Nov., 2010, when I posted a century-old love note from Josef Gärtz, my paternal grandfather, to Lisi (Elisabetha) Ebner, my paternal grandmother, and follows their bold decision to strike out for America.


My mom and dad were writers too, recording their lives in diaries and letters from the 1920s-the 1990s. Historical, sweet, joyful, and sad, all that life promises-- and takes away--are recorded here as it happened. It's an ongoing saga of the 20th century. To start at the very beginning, please click HERE.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Writing as much as I can



Ebner responds to his mother's desperate plea for more letters, and his oldest brother's (Will) apparent chastisement about the "dearth" of letters.

To read about the history of Keesler Field click HERE

Air Corps Technical School
Keesler Field, Mississippi
2-16-43

Dear Mom,

I’m sorry to hear you are not getting my mail regular but I’ve written as often as time permitted. Maybe you haven’t been getting all the ail I’ve written because I’ve never postponed it over 4 days. I have received the $20.00 and thanks a lot. I’ve spent most of the money now. You see that I’m writing in pencil. That is because I was too generous and lent my pen to someone who shipped out, pen and all. Until I get another pen I’ll have to write like this.

I have received your letters and I suggest that you number your letters up to 10 and then start all over again. This way I’ll know that I’m getting all your letters. Will’s subject and item letter which is very facetious and not appreciated very much for I’m trying hard to keep writing as much and to as many as feasible. [Older brother, Will, just have chided Frank/Ebner for not writing enough. I don't have this letter from Will, which obviously upset Frank/Ebner with its sarcastic tone.]

I haven’t written to Holub or Hatley as yet. We have a bugler now and he just blew lights out. I’ve been switched as has everybody else in the 953rd T.S.S. In Hut City (our area’s name). I’m now flight 675’s Flight leader. A fellow (southern) just came in and displayed the provincial Southern hospitality by giving the fellows of the orderly room cake and candy which was sent to him. I must close now, so lots of Love

Your son,
Frank

Original letter below:


© Copyright Linda Gartz - No part of this blog (photos, letters or letter quotes, written work, etc.) may be used without the express permission of Linda Gartz or a link back to this blog.

No comments: